Tregony In Cornwall

Tregony community web site

Tregony known as the “gateway to the Roseland” is an historic parish that was once an important, bustling port in south Cornwall.

Tregony’s history dates back to pre-Norman times. It was an important strategic inland port to Roman and Phoenician traders searching for tin, as well as being an embarcation point for travellers on their way to Spain and Brittany.

It is thought that the River Fal become silted up as a result of tin streaming activities. This meant that by the 16th century the Fal was no longer navigable up to Tregony, and the town’s days as a port were over. However, Tregony continued to be the central market for the Roseland area.

Tregony is noted for it’s exceptionally wide main street and for the Clock Tower, built in 1833 out of Pentewan stone.

Other notable buildings in the village are:

  • the Almshouses - built in 1696 by Hugh Boscawen . They were extensively rebuilt in 1897.
  • The Church of St. Cuby - parish church of both Tregony and Cuby.